Tuesday, November 25, 2008

ISB aftermath

How is it that once you achieve something, it seems very easy and once you don't, it seems like an insurmountable barrier? I remember that after any exam in school or college, the people who got the correct answers to a few questions that most of the others couldn't, boasted about the question being very easy. "Oh that, that was an easy one! You couldn't get it right, eh?" I felt like givin a whack on the head of the speaker on hearing this (the times when I was not the speaker that is!).

So when over the last few days I started to feel "oh ISB, that wasn't so hard, what's all the fuss about?", I felt that some1 gave a whack on my head. That someone was the memory of the time just before the results came out. That excruciating wait before the final result was the true indicator of the scale of the achievement. I know that selections can be quite subjective but still, it's an honour and a privelege to be part of this batch of super achievers.

But wait, is this an achievement? Is this what I have been figting for? Well, yes and no. I have struggled for the last 2 years to get into a top MBA college. The road was arduous, and I did try my best to develop myself personally and professionally for this day. But what was all that for? That was for a jump in my career. And that jump will come, if at all, only after I earn my MBA. So now the road has got that much tougher. I know that the next one year is gonna be one hell of a roller coaster ride. People complain about the pressure of a 2 year MBA so the 1 year MBA would be that much tougher. However, I am excited and hopeful because of the people I'm gonna be spending this time with. After getting to know some of the fellow admits, who are from all over the world, from such diverse backgrounds (actor to doctor to journalist to consultants, etc), and are generally such nice people, I am sure that I m gonna madly enjoy the next year of my life.
Next few posts would outline my thoughts on B-school essays .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said! I hope this serves as encouragement for anyone who has not received the acceptance letter so that they continue to push forward!