Thursday, June 17, 2010

The whys of MBA curriculum

Having now joined the workforce, I can now appreciate the method in the apparent madness of the MBA curriculum. I think these info will helo the prospective students.

A few days back, I got a call from a director at another office about help regarding a proposal. I was given 2 hours to go through the project specifics-public announcements of a merger. After 2 hours, I was asked what I feel about this. Then over the weekend I wrote a proposal on the post merger integration of these 2 firms.
Sounds familiar? This is just what you do for a case prep. We are given copious case study notes with miniscule time. We read up on case for 2 hours, discuss the case in class - state our point of view and then write a case summary. THis rigour really helps now in job scenario.

Similarly, I'm also working on a strategy project with a team spread across India. Off course the colleagues have different wavelengths and pre-ISB there might have been a friction. But the rich (and forced) experienced via study groups of working with unknown people from different backgrounds over a long period of time and managing egos and personalities really helps avoid frictions now.

So in addition to the actual content of an MBA curriculum, the design itself also helps cope with post-MBA work environment. We also had courses that taught us how to cope with office politics. Maybe I'll write about that sometime!

No comments: