Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Essay update-Fuqua, Darden

I have dropped Kellogg off my list. Tuck as well. Even though I may get in at these 2, the costs associated would be too high. At least in Darden and Fuqua I may get some good schols. + writing the essays takes so much of energy and effort, I feel it's imperative that maximise the return from my effort. Things are on track for my US visa etc. The only issue is the upcoming Puja holidays in Cal. It may be difficult to get a Visa interview date.
Anyway comin bak, I have written the first drafts for the Fuqua essays. Darden is stil sketchy.
Fuqwua essays 1 and 4 are givin me nightmares. Not individualy but the combination. I feel there's so much overlap in the scope. I mean your long term goals would obviously include the impact you wanna have in the world. Ohterwise, Fuqua essays are very balanced-they do bring about most facets of my personality, unlike the darden essays-they are very narrow. I mean you can be a good manager and a great leader even though you haven't experienced a big failure, or a huge creative challenge or an "ethical dilemma" (phew). After all, a great perosnna makes the best of the situation-does ordinary things extraordinarily well! That's difficult to portray through the darden essays.

Ive realized that writing MBA essays is like designing a software solution.
Step 1: Requirements gathering: read up on various sources: website, blogs, interviews, etc.
Step 2: Design: Prepare a rough layout of the structure of ur esay-Intro, body(pt 1, pt 2 , etc), Conclusion.
Step 3: Coding: Expand the points-write all things substantially.
Step 4: testing: Give your essays to the reviewers.
Step 5: Bug fixing: like any software project, the testing phase will invariably involve loads of bug-fixes coz the reviewers generally come up with both "aha" and "duh" pointers.
Step 6: Deploy: Submit the app, and hope for the best.

Note that the development methodology may vary as some people may go for waterfall model (listed above) or an iterative model-all the phases performed iteratively or even Agile model-testing driven development i e first ask the reviewer for pointers then start writing!

B a software engineer does have its advantages!

No comments: